Monday, April 7, 2008

Case of the Week 16

Welcome to the Parasite Case of the Week. Every Monday there will be a new case, as well as the answer to the previous case (you will find it below the corresponding case). Please feel free to leave a comment or your thoughts regarding the diagnosis.

This week, I'd like to start with a link to an interesting image and video from the April 3rd edition of the NEJM: http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/358/14/e16

Thank you to Wash for bringing it to my attention. As always, please feel free to send in links, photos, and stories to share with your fellow parasitologists. It's good to hear from you, and a great way to share knowledge.

Now, on to the case:

This photograph was taken by my classmate at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. This worm was noted in a section of Cod, purchased in London, England. It was part of an anniversary dinner that she had cooked for her husband. As a good parasitologist, she immediately grabbed her camera and snapped some photos. Unfortunately, her husband was less than pleased and the worm did not make it to the laboratory for definitive diagnosis. However, we can make a presumptive diagnosis based on the size, color, shape of the worm, and it's presence in Cod from the Atlantic Ocean. Any thoughts? CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pseudoterranova sp?

Anonymous said...

I don't know what this is, but that picture of the cooked cod with the worm in it is. . . . .disturbing.

Heather said...

Anisakis simplex or Pseudoterranova decipiens.

Anonymous said...

I found one of these in my fish tonight. I feel like I never want to eat fish again right now. I cooked my fish but I'm nervous about the fact that there could have been more and I might get sick.
Scary.