Sunday, November 1, 2015

Case of the Week 370

Happy Halloween dear readers!
Like last year, this week's case highlights some of the costumes and goodies from my annual Halloween Party. 

First - the costumes! Here are the amebae ladies. Can you guess which is which? I'll give you a hint in that they are all morphologically identical, but one is slightly smaller than the others.
Here are 2 of our Clinical Microbiology Fellows - the "FakeArray" and the baker (scroll down further to see photos of her goodies) 

Close up of the "FakeArray" Sugar Overload Panel, which detects 24 sweet targets. (The actual FilmArray(R) detects multiple enteric pathogens, including 4 parasites)

And here is the party's hostess, parasite gal in a Peromyscus leucopus costume. Note my Ixodes scapularis accessories.


And last, but not least, the gory baker's cupcakes. Can you tell which parasite is shown on the cupcake with the pretzel stick?



7 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Halloween Ms. Bobbi. Nice and creative customs!
The cupcake with pretzel stick looks like an edible Dracunculus medinensis.

Rachel said...

I approve! Wish I could have come x.

Anonymous said...

You are as creative as ever, Bobbi!
Best wishes,
Brenda Waters

Mites and Parasites said...

Excellent, I love it, you are so cute with your Ixodes scapularis !
Cheers !

MicrOlivier

Dan Milner said...

YUM!!! We just did "tuberculosis and spirochetes" a few weeks back and I made themed cupcakes! But they really liked my Plasmodium falciparum "crescent" rolls! :0)

Anonymous said...

Wow, wishing everyone a Happy Halloween. The costumes are very nice. The Ixodes is realistic, considering we look at it on a dorsal aspect. Yes the stick is used to fish the Dracunculus medinensis out.

Florida Fan

Unknown said...

Lovely costumes! I agree that the cupcake is Dracunculus (that's a sentence I never thought I would type!) and are the amoebae Entamoeba histolytica/dispar (larger) and Entamoeba hartmanni?