Sunday, June 28, 2020

Answer to Case 597

Answer: Cyclospora cayetanensis oocysts, unsporulated

I figured this was a very timely posting, as we are currently experiencing an outbreak of cyclosporiasis in the Midwestern United States. It's a good reminder to keep an eye out for these round refractile structures in routine stool preparations and follow-up with confirmatory testing (e.g., modified acid fast, modified safranin, examination for autofluorescence, molecular amplification).

I also figured this was a timely case for my United States readers as the confirmatory modified acid fast and safranin stains provide beautiful red, white and blue images for the 4th of July celebrations (American Independence day; my apologies to my British friends)

Here is a gorgeous image from a modified safranin stain of C. cayetanensis oocysts from Florida Fan:
(from Case of the Week 447):


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's also very patriotic Dr. Pritt. Have a wonderful Fourth.
Florida Fan